General NewsHot NewsLatest

Three Ghanaians die from COVID-19 in Europe – Foreign Affairs Ministry- Report

Three Ghanaian nationals have died in Europe from the novel Coronavirus pandemic.

This is according to Minister of Foreign Affairs, Shirley Ayorkor Botchway.

Two of the deceased were residing in Italy while the other was resident in Copenhagen, Denmark.

The World Health Organisation had declared Europe, the new epicentre of the pandemic with Italy recording the highest number of cases in that region.

Briefing the media in Parliament today [Wednesday], the Sector Minister, Shirley Ayorkor Botchway said government through its missions abroad is offering constant advice to citizens on the prevention of the pandemic.

“I have heard that three Ghanaians in Italy have lost their lives from the virus, one of them is in Copenhagen. The Special Service is advised and the advice is that make sure you adhere to the rules or the new government policy where you are. Of people not congregating in crowded areas. Stay home as much as possible, ensure that your personal hygiene is at its utmost. These are the things that we can only do because we have to protect ourselves. We are praying that they [Ghanaians abroad] keep to the advice given by various countries” she said.

Coronavirus outbreak in Ghana

Ghana has so far recorded seven cases of COVID-19.

As part of measures put in place by the government to prevent the spread of the virus, the Minister of Information over the weekend announced a “mandatory 14 days self-quarantine for persons who are otherwise allowed to enter the country amidst the travel advisory. This applies to only citizens and foreigners with a resident permit”.

“There will now be a mandatory 14 days self-quarantine for persons who are otherwise allowed to enter the Ghanaian jurisdiction. Guidelines for the self-quarantine will be available at the various Ghanaian port of entry,” he said.

The government has also placed a temporary ban on most public gatherings

All public gathering advisories

The full list of guidelines on public gatherings announced by the government are;

1. All public gatherings, including conferences, workshops, funerals, festivals, political rallies, sporting events and religious activities, such as services in churches and mosques, have been suspended for the next four (4) weeks. Private burials are permitted, but with limited numbers, not exceeding twenty-five (25) in attendance;

2. All Universities, Senior High Schools, and basic schools, i.e. public and private schools, will be closed Monday, 16th March, 2020, till further notice. The Ministry of Education, in collaboration with the Ministry of Communication, has been tasked to roll out distance learning programmes. However, BECE and WASSCE candidates will be allowed to attend school to prepare for their examinations, but with prescribed social distancing protocols;

3. The Government of Ghana’s Travel Advisory issued earlier today should be observed as announced;

4. Businesses and other workplaces can continue to operate, but should observe prescribed social distancing between patrons and staff;

5. Establishments, such as supermarkets, shopping malls, restaurants, night clubs, hotels and drinking spots, should observe enhanced hygiene procedures by providing, amongst others, hand sanitizers, running water and soap for washing of hands;

6. The Ministry of Transport should work with the transport unions and private and public transport operators to ensure enhanced hygienic conditions in all vehicles and terminals, by providing, amongst others, hand sanitizers, running water and soap for washing of hands; and

7. The Ministry of Local Government and Rural Development should co-ordinate, with the Metropolitan, Municipal and District Assemblies, measures to enhance conditions of hygiene in markets across the country.

.

Please send us your articles for publication via editor@reportghana.com

Loading...

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button