A total of 9 suspected cases of the deadly coronavirus have been recorded in Ghana according to the Ministry of Health in a release sighted by MyNewsGh.com.
“As at 6th February, 2020, there has been 28,280 confirmed cases and 565 deaths globally. Here in Ghana we have recorded 9 suspected cases including the recent 2 from Korle bu Teaching Hospital. All of these cases have tested negative”, the statement explained
Two foreign nationals, a Chinese and an Argentine were suspected to have shown symptoms of coronavirus and currently on isolation at the emergency room of the Korle Bu Teaching Hospital but demanded of the health facility to immediately discharge them as they are being held against their will. MyNewsGh.com can confirm.
The Victims visited the hospital on Wednesday, 5 February 2020 via an Uber after being referred to the place from a clinic are suspected to be showing respiratory symptoms which started February 03, 2020 and has since had their samples taken and sent to Noguchi Memorial Institute for Medical Research (NMIMR), for further analysis.
Our sources at the health facilities say the victims have become agitated at their continuous stay at the facility against their will requesting the authorities to discharge them.
Dr William Baah, the Greater Accra Divisional Secretary of the Ghana Medical Association, told the press earlier that the Chinese left the home country for Ghana sometime in September 2019 while the Argentine, who was in Shanghai, joined the Chinese in Ghana in January.
“They’ve all developed some symptoms that fit the case definition [but] it doesn’t mean they have the disease,” he stated.
He said another round of testing is expected to be conducted on the two nationals today, Thursday, 6 February 2020.
At least 427 people have died with more than 20,000 confirmed cases around the world, most of them in China.
More than two dozen nations have reported cases but, so far, no confirmations have been made across Africa or Latin America.
Meanwhile, the Health Ministry has assured Ghanaians that they is no cause for alarm as they are on top of the situation.
“We wish to provide assurance to the people of Ghana that the Government, Ministry of Health/Ghana Health Service working in collaboration with partners are doing everything possible to prevent and protect against the importation of the virus into the country and prevent spread”, the statement stressed.
Please send us your articles for publication via firstname.lastname@example.org
Latest News In Ghana – Click Here to Read Our Latest News Stories