President of the Ghana Football Association (GFA), Kurt Okraku has said that a decision on the future 2019/20 football season will be taken per the advice of the government.
According to Kurt, the FA have had positive discussions with government and would make a final decision on whether to cancel the season or restart the season upon advice from the state.
Football activities including the Ghana Premier League were suspended in March following the spread of coronavirus in the country.
The GFA last week announced that the season remains suspended until June 30 when they would revisit the issue and come out with their verdict.
“We took a decision to speak to the Ministry to intervene because we were heading in the right direction until the COVID-19. Football is, perhaps, one of the biggest vehicles in solving some of our social problems in this country,” he told Happy FM as quoted by Ghanasoccernet.
“Fortunately for us, discussions have gone very well. We are now waiting to hear from the government. It’s always been fruitful.”
In the same interview, Kurt Okraku revealed they are expecting funds from World Football governing body FIFA which will help the GFA during this period of distress caused by the pandemic.
“We are also waiting for FIFA to fast track the process and get the Emergency COVID-19 fund. We are expecting two funds from FIFA. The FIFA forward and the FIFA COVID-19 fund,” he said.
The football community have made clarion calls on the FA to support them with the Fifa Foreward money, but the former Dreams FC Executive Chairman explained that the funds cannot be shared to members.
He, however, added that the FIFA COVID-19 fund would be made available to clubs.
“FIFA forward money, you can’t withdraw cash, you cant take a loan with the cash and you can’t misappropriate the fund. We have explained this to the clubs and again, the Emergency fund is still being expected and we shall share that with the clubs when the money is paid to the FA,” he added.
Ghana’s coronavirus cases now stand at 5,127 with 492 recoveries and 22 deaths.
President Akufo-Addo last Sunday extended the ban on all public gatherings including sporting activities until the end of May.
Please send us your articles for publication via email@example.com
Latest News In Ghana – Click Here to Read Our Latest News Stories